We are continuing our unit in One Year Old Preschool on the colors of the rainbow and we have come to blue. Our choice for an animal this week was a bluebird. This is sort of sentimental to us because I sing a bedtime song to G every night that features a bluebird. Here’s what we did to make our basic bluebird craft:
- construction paper (blue, tiny bit of yellow)
- tissue paper (blue)
- glue stick
- googly eyes
- Cut a large (2 1/2″) circle and a smaller (1 3/4″ ) circle out of the blue construction paper.
- Cut a small triangle out of the yellow construction paper and two small legs (I did this free hand, but you could just do thin long rectangles)
- Cut small squares or triangles or diamonds (whichever you prefer) out of the blue tissue paper.
- Glue smaller circle to the top and side (backside) of the large circle. Glue legs onto the bottom (backside) of the circle.
With your toddler:
- Glide a thin layer of glue onto the head of the bird and have your little one add the beak. Glide another thin layer of glue over the body of the bird and have your toddler add the tissue paper shapes (“feathers”) to the body.
- Have your little one add the googly eyes.
There you have it: a bluebird! Please feel free to use any of these ideas and share them with others. If you do the craft, please let me know. I would love to get feedback from others who tried them with their toddlers. Here are the links to our other crafts in this unit:
Happy Crafting with Kids!