I guess I really got into the fall mood this week, because I decided to get the house all fall ready and when D and I went on a date, I got a hot coffee beverage. Nevermind that the temperature outside is 108 today…yes, 108 toward the end of September. So, it is difficult to get in the full mood just yet, but today’s recipe has got me looking forward to Thanksgiving already.
Today’s recipe is an ultra-comfort-food, fall dish: Anytime Chicken and Dressing! mmm…this was good and everybody really liked it. We had enough for dinner and for two “our family sized” pans for the freezer. After eating it for dinner, I am very happy that we get to eat it again a couple times in the next couple of months! The recipe is from Busy Moms Weeknight Favorites (one of my favorite family cookbooks). Here it is:
Anytime Chicken and Dressing
- 1/4 c. butter
- 7 green onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 10 cornbread muffins, crumbled (about 3 + 1/2 c.)
- 1/2 (16 oz.) pkg. herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 1 + 1/2 c. chopped cooked chicken
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning (I added more)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add green onions and celery and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine cornbread and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; add sauteed vegetable mixture, stirring well. Spoon dressing into a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish (I made it in three 8 x 8 pans).
To bake without Freezing: Bake at 350 F, uncovered for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
To freeze: Cover tightly with foil; freeze up to 2 months.
To use from frozen: Pre-heat oven to 350 F, remove and discard foil. Bake for 1 hour or until lightly browned.
This one is a must make. Give it a try. As you can see we couldn’t wait to eat it. Then I remembered I needed to take a picture.