Welcome back to the September Stockpile! We over half-way through September and I am really getting that freezer filled with lots of wonderful food. I know I am going to be really happy for the hard work completed this month after the baby gets here! And I have to say, I am looking forward to eating some of these yummy recipes.
Today’s recipe is for easy lunches, even on the go. It is for chicken empanadas. The recipe itself is not incredibly spicy or flavorful, but when I eat these, I prefer to add a little bit of salsa on the side. The basic nature of the recipe helps when you have lots of different palates; some that like spicy and some who prefer mild. Oh, and this is a great clean out the fridge of leftovers recipe. I don’t have specific amounts because it is such a leftover magic recipe, so all the amounts are estimates. Here is the recipe:
- 1 pkg. refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. green onion, chopped
- 1/2 c. celery, diced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 + 1/2 c. cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 c. sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. mayonaisse
- salt & pepper to taste
- egg white (to wash tops)
- Set out pie crusts and cream cheese a little ahead of time, allow to come to room temperature and soften.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line a pan with parchment paper or silpat.
- Combine all ingredients except pie crusts and egg in a bowl.
- Roll out pie crusts and cut out circles with a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter (or a glass). Take one circle and put 2 Tbsp. of chicken mixture on top. Top with another circle and press down the edges. Crimp with a fork. (To make appetizer size empanadas, use one pie crust circle and 1 Tbsp. chicken mixture, fold over and press down) Repeat with remaining pie crust circles and chicken mixture.
- Brush tops of empanadas with egg wash. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
To freeze: Allow to cool completly and flash freeze. Remove from freezer and transfer to freezer bags.
To use from frozen: Microwave on high for about 90 seconds or until warmed through. Serve with salsa.