Since having our babies, my husband has a new-found love for dessert. Not for himself, mind you, but for our oldest (weaned) one. As soon as she was old enough to have something a little sweet at the end of a meal, he has relished giving her a treat of some sort. And since food is love around here, I know his motivation is pure. He truly derives pleasure in watching her enjoy something special at the end of a meal.
But this creates a little bit of a problem. We just don’t want her to have a bunch of sugar all the time. So I try to make some low sugar, fruit filled desserts for her that are still special. I came up with this one and I like it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Oh, and it is so easy.
Sweet Cinnamon Biscuit Shortcakes
- 1 can pre-made biscuits (whatever kind you like)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- Mixed Berries (choose your favorite)
- Butter (if desired)
- Pre-heat oven according to biscuit package instructions.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Open biscuits and separate. Roll each biscuit in sugar/cinnamon mixture, coating completely.
- Bake biscuits according to package instructions.
- While the biscuits are in the oven, wash, dry, and cut (if desired) berries.
- When the biscuits are done, let cool for just a moment. Split in half and spread a small amount of butter (to taste) over the cut sides.
- Lay one side on the plate, fill with berries, and top with the other side of the biscuit.
These are very good and only a little sweet. You could also add some whipped cream, if you wanted to take it up a notch.