Our girls have been in Awana this year and have absolutely loved it. W is a Cubbie, learning short Bible verses every week with the help of a rockstar leader. And G is a Spark, having a blast each week, playing games and learning about Jesus! All the leaders for the Awana program we go to demonstrate a dedication and love for these kids and the Lord every week. We are so thankful for them!
We were working on making some holiday gifts in the kitchen the other day and I had a flash of inspiration. We made the most amazing Christmas “Candy” and I was thinking about who we could give it to. (If I don’t give it away, I will eat it all!) And I had a sudden inspiration for a super simple Awana leader thank you gift.
I quickly threw together a bag topper label with the message:
“Awana thank you for leading me to Jesus”
Cheesy, I know! But kinda cute, right?
It is really easy to print out these tags (see instructions below) and attach them to the top of a sandwich size Ziploc bag. Filling the bag with something yummy for our fantastic leaders is pretty easy, too. We made an old favorite Christmas “candy” with a twist. Here’s the recipe.
Our version of the Easiest Christmas Candy.
- 2 sleeves graham crackers
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp (or less) sea salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with Silpat (or parchment paper). Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a saucepan combine butter and brown sugar. Melt it down and stir until gooey and slightly thickened.
3. Pour prepared butter mixture over the graham crackers and spread with an offset spatula.
4. Bake graham cracker and butter mixture in the oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until bubbly.
5. As soon as you take the pan out of the oven, sprinkle sea salt over the surface of the crackers. Then drop chocolate chips by handfuls over the bubbly goodness. Leave for a moment to allow the chocolate chips to start to melt. Spread the chocolate chips with an offset spatula over the entire surface.
6. Place the pan into the freezer for at least an hour to harden the chocolate. Break into small pieces and store in an airtight container in the freezer.
I just can’t wait to give these special gifts to our Awana leaders to thank them for their service!
PRINTING NOTE: If you would like to print out the gift tag/bag topper for your Awana leader, click here. The PDF includes two pages/tags. I wasn’t able to figure out how to put two on a page. If I get it figured out, I will adjust the PDF so you can print even easier.