And we’re back! Working on filling up the freezer brings us to a recipe I am really excited to share with you. This recipe for Pumpkin Scones resembles the pumpkin scones from Starbucks…but I have a feeling they are going to be better! I am so glad these are going to be in my freezer that I may have to take one out and make it before the baby gets here!
I LOVE pumpkin flavored things, so these will be great for breakfast during this early baby season. Oh, and if someone happens to stop by for a breakfast, I might make one for them! The nice thing is I can make as may at a time as I would like – one, two, or six – since the dough is what is frozen.
I got the recipe from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen, but I changed the procedure a little bit. Personally, I like to get in there and work when I make scones, but you can also try her procedure if you want to use your mixer. I also doubled the recipe and substituted pumpkin pie spice for all the different spices she uses.
Here is the modified single batch recipe:
Perfect Pumpkin Scones (adapted from sweetpeaskitchen)
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. + 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 c. canned pumpkin
- 3 Tbsp. half-and-half
- 1 egg
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the cold butter and cut in with a pastry cutter until the texture looks like coarse cornmeal. Make sure all the butter pieces get cut up into small pieces (no larger than small peas).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half-and-half, and egg. Fold into dry ingredients, mixing well and forming into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and pat down into a 1 inch thick rectangle about 4 inches by 12 inches. Cut into 3 equal portions and cut an X into each portion to make 12 portions.
To freeze: Place each portion on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and flash freeze until hard. Remove from freezer and wrap individually with plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag.
To use from frozen: Pre-heat oven to 425 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place frozen, unwrapped scone(s) on cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and glaze with the wonderful recipes below:
Perfect Pumpkin Scone Glaze:
Powdered Sugar Glaze:
- 1 c. + 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
Mix together until smooth, spread over cooled scones with a pastry brush. Allow to firm.
- 1 c. + 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
While powdered sugar glaze is firming, combine all ingredients. Then drizzle over each scone and allow icing to dry before serving.
Don’t these sound wonderful?!?!
UPDATE: THEY ARE! I have made these very often since having our little one. They are a perfect treat to have in the freezer throughout the fall and winter season (or spring, or summer – no judgment here). You have got to try these!